Sunday, December 12, 2010

Authenticity!! Whats that ??

 Why would I choose the topic that I have, for my first ever blog ??

Well .. the answer is that, I am simply frustrated with :
  • Finding Coriander leaves used as garnishing on my Mushroom and babycorn manchurians ..
  • With having instant biryanis .. and those especially interesting ones with mustard seeds and curry leaves ..
  • Almost any kind of soup (chinese and french included) being served in a matter of minutes ..
and
  • of course, every dish with a hyderabadi suffix leaving my hands and at times my toilet pan green for sometime ..
Okae the last part was disgusting !! Sorry ..

Also, among my favorite complaints and the one that irks me the most ..
peas pulav or spelled in some menus as "peace" pulav

When you flip a menu and see peas pulav that costs ~100-120 rupees, you would expect your dish to have the choicest and the most tender green peas, that simply melt in the mouth.
Rather, what you get are the green colored round cereals(matar/"kaala"), that would probable bounce more than a ball of steel(of equal dimensions), if both are dropped from a similar height, with gravity left to do the rest ....
There is some physics involved here but lets not get in to that  ..

I also have not found any reason why 'north Indian thalis' (so they are called), should have a watery red color liquid being passed as tomato soup ..
I mean, truly, how many north Indian households have a tomato soup before they divulge in a standard meal ..

Thats so much about a few, not so authentic dishes that you may encounter pretty often. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are a few from my personal experiences.


Joining my job straight after engineering, till I got married recently, gave me ~5 years time to have dinner at a restaurant almost every day ..
So, you may choose to take my suggestion on the following two items :: :-)

The first one is :
  • Always say "NO", and choose something on the menu, when the guy who takes your order says .. "madi koduva", after you ask for something that is missing in the menu. Like "cheese naan" for example .. 
  • Its usually has been a case of my stupid persistence for something that is not in the menu, and the guy's ego issues with the restaurant not being able to serve you what you want .. 
  • In local kannada "madi koduva" would mean "will prepare and serve you". (well, I think thats what it means, with my knowledge of kannada).. But what it actually means is, "no big deal, we can fix whatever you want, although my cook and me have no clue about it "
The other one is :
  • When you ask for biryani and get the answer that the biryani that was cooked for the day is over,please make a point to get back to the same place, some other day to taste the biryani .. coz most likely it would be authentic .. Rather than the one that says .. no problem .. name the biryani and we can prepare it for you in minutes .. 
  • Biryani is something that needs to be cooked slowly and with love.. only then do you get the delightful taste and flavors.. and its only true that it can get over at the end of the day .. (unlike of course, the instant guys)


I am not trying to pass myself as a sad little guy that complains about anything and everything ..
But when i see the above stuff, it makes me feel like i should do something about it ..
Presently all I could do is complain and crib and hope someone else sets these right. But sometime later in life, I wish to set right, these things in my own restaurant ..
Yes! The one I plan to open after an early retirement ..
I would keep my menu limited, but with authentic stuff ..


Overall, eating out is an enjoyable and interesting experience, if you know what a eatery excels in, and ensure you do not miss it ..

(PS: The views expressed above are for restaurants that would cost ~300-400, for a meal for two, and not the college canteens types, coz its understandable in the later)

3 comments:

  1. Its about time the world listens to your complains, why should I be the only one suffering:-)
    Jokes apart, the blog is "authentic"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one :) Every Bachelor goes through this I guess. Must be the reason why so many "unauthentic" restaurants exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all,
    Welcome to Blogging Subbu,

    There is always a sobriquet for Udupi "land of good food" But unfortunately the cooks have landed in hotels all over the country - Pune, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi....... and you have the second grade cooks (probably) in Udupi.

    But I still don consider that the ones outside serve authentic food. I remember the "Vegetarian" food I wanted to have in HOTEL UDUPI in Dallas and that was "PATHETIC"

    When you mentioned PEACE PULAO, I also remembered "GOPI MANJU RYAN" which I ate in Saravana Bhavan- kanyakumari(prob the three musketeers/cooks' special Gopi(nath), Manju(nath) and Ryan(nath))

    Aw keep posting!
    R,
    PP

    ReplyDelete